“Yoga is the union of body with the mind and of mind with the soul”. BKS Iyengar
We are committed to sharing the tradition of Iyengar Yoga. Iyengar Yoga differs from other styles of yoga, as there is an emphasis on the precision and alignment of asanas, (postures) planned sequencing and timing. The use of props such as blankets, blocks and straps to support asanas, is common in Iyengar yoga. This approach allows people of varying levels of health, fitness and age, to discover the benefits of a sustained yoga practice.
The international certification mark of Iyengar Yoga teachers, ensures that those teaching Iyengar Yoga are qualified to do so. The certification process was introduced in Australia in 1987, by Senior Australian Iyengar teachers of the BKSIYAA, with the guidance of Guruji, Yogacharya BKS Iyengar. The teaching certificates issued by BKSIYAA on behalf of the Ramamani Iyengar Memorial Institute in Pune, India; are recognised globally, and are the international mark of a qualified Iyengar Yoga teacher.
Yoga provides a source of physical and emotional well being, whilst developing strength, stability, flexibility and mental alertness. Other benefits include:
– Increase fitness, endurance and stamina
– Increase muscle tone
– Increase vitality and energy
– Reduce tension, anxiety and stress
– A quite, relaxed and restful mind
– Improved health and body function
Types of Asanas
Which Iyengar Yoga Class is right for you?
- Introductory and beginner yoga classes: Suitable for students new to Iyengar yoga, or with little yoga experience. Introductory Iyengar yoga courses are a great way to begin yoga.
- Level 1 Iyengar yoga classes: Suitable for students who have completed our foundation Introductory course. These classes continue to build on the foundation and also introduce inversions and backbends to our yoga practice.
- Level 1 & 2 Iyengar yoga classes: Suitable for students who have been practising Iyengar Yoga for 6-12 months. These classes consolidate the teachings of the foundation and level 1 classes, helping students develop a strong understanding of the Iyengar Yoga principles.
- Level 2 Iyengar yoga classes: Suitable for experienced yoga students with a regular personal practice. Classes include advanced asanas and Pranayama.
Yoga will revive and renew your body, spirit and soul. To view the full class schedule offered at Yogaha, please refer to the Yogaha Yoga Class Schedule.